Welcome to Bee Berry Farm! Blueberries with a view in lovely Newport, VA.
We are DONE for the season. Birds have wiped out the rest of the ripe berries. Thank you so much to our pickers who have worked with us throughout this very strange year, on so many levels. Hope to see you next season!
ALWAYS check our website, facebook page, or call the farm phone message (540) 544 6833 before coming out. We close for ripening if picked out.
As with everything else, this season is not business-as-usual. Below are the major changes implemented this season. Please refer to the Covid-19 page for full details. We appreciate your cooperation – for your safety and ours.
- Stay home if you feel sick or have been in contact with anyone testing positive or symptomatic for Covid-19.
- Please wear facial covering during check-in/out. Masks recommended in field as well.
- Sanitize hands before and after picking – we have a hand-wash station (two sinks) at the field entrance, plus hand sanitizer galore.
- Stay 6 feet apart unless the person is a household member. Turn away as you pass another picker.
- Please use our disinfected buckets only to pick into. Leave any other containers, coolers, etc. at your vehicle.
- Liner bags will be provided for each bucket. Buckets will be sanitized between uses.
- BYOB (bring your own belt) if you like to pick that way (frees up both hands!). We’ll have some disinfected at the start of each day but it won’t be enough for everyone once we cycle through the batch.
- Sanitize hands before entering the field (hand-wash station or hand sanitizer).
- Rows with ripe berries will be flagged.
- Work an entire blueberry bush at a time from bottom to top. Then move on. You’ll fill your bucket MUCH faster. Don’t flit down the row touching a berry here and a berry there (wildly inefficient way to pick and does not lend to good social distancing).
- While in the field, please respect your fellow picker’s personal space. Keep children with you at all times.
- Easy! Place your bucket(s) on the scale. Once weighed, remove the liner bag to take berries home. We don’t touch your bag.
- Bucket goes into tub for disinfecting with SaniDate solution (OMRI listed high-efficacy sanitizer).
- Payment – Cash or checks at the moment. Checks are GREAT – fill in amount and hand it over – very low-touch! Waiting on new credit card reader, sorry for the inconvenience.
- Maintain social distancing at check-out, of course. Only paying customer in line if at all possible.